loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Broken Arrow?

The activities and operations of professionals offering services in the City of Broken Arrow are regulated at the state and city levels. At the state level, the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board is responsible for issuing licenses to professionals like plumbing, electrical, and home improvement contractors from the state's six specialty trades industries. General contractors who do not require state-issued professional licenses must obtain professional licenses at the city level from the Community Permitting and Licensing Division of the City of Broken Arrow Department of Community Development. Professional licenses qualify professionals for the services you intend to hire them for, and it is always important to confirm their licensing status before they commence work. You can execute this task by utilizing the online CIB Verify Licensee Search tool maintained by the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. Similarly, you can contact the city's Community Permitting and Licensing Division at (918) 259-2400 to confirm the licensing status of professionals licensed at the city level.

After confirming the licensing status of your professionals, you may need to obtain building permits for your intended projects from the City of Broken Arrow Department of Community Development through its Community Permitting and Licensing Division. Typically, you require permits for new and existing building projects, including construction, alteration, and modification work. It is vital to obtain all necessary permits before commencing work to ensure you do not violate the city's Building Code. You can contact the city's Permitting and Licensing Division at (918) 259-2400 to inquire about the city's permit requirements for your intended projects.

Do Broken Arrow Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Broken Arrow homeowners associations and other community-based organizations in the city do not issue building permits. Nonetheless, these associations work to solve the community's everyday problems, like security, beautification, and developmental projects that foster the economic growth of their respective communities. For instance, in September 2021, the Cambridge Homeowners Association worked extensively on renovating a neighborhood pool house to include lighting fixtures, plumbing fixtures, paint job, and wall repairs.

Homeowners associations also collaborate with city agencies to provide access to resources that will improve the livability of the neighborhoods. For example, the Cambridge Homeowners Association has been trying to make the City Council execute the entrance and exiting improvements plan proposed for the 81st street within its neighborhood.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Broken Arrow?

The Consumer Protection Unit of the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office is responsible for handling complaints filed by residents of Broken Arrow concerning deceptive and unscrupulous practices of professionals in the city. You can file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office by downloading a Consumer Complaint Form. The completed form should be saved as a pdf file to enable you to send it to the Consumer Protection Unit via email with the subject line tagged complaint. Once the Consumer Protection Unit receives your complaint, a Unit representative will determine the appropriate resolution mode. Sometimes, a consumer representative may resolve the complaint over the phone or via a mediation program. If you have further questions regarding the complaint process, you can direct your queries to the Consumer Protection Unit of the Attorney General's Office at (405) 521-2029. However, it is important to note that restitution cannot be guaranteed even after the Attorney General's Office has resolved your complaint.

If your goal is to seek restitution from the erring professionals or businesses, you can file a lawsuit at the Wagoner County District Court. Usually, it is advisable to seek proper legal advice before pursuing any legal action in court, and you can do so by retaining the services of a lawyer that actively practices in Broken Arrow. To find active lawyers in the city, you can use the find a lawyer tool provided by the Oklahoma Bar Association for lawyer referral services. You can also use the legal resources provided by the Oklahoma Bar Association to access low-cost legal assistance.