loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Norman?

Hiring a licensed professional helps you avoid most consumer-related issues, as they must adhere to regulatory standards that ensure you receive a decent service. Professionals in Norman are licensed and regulated by several state agencies, including the Oklahoma Department of Labor, which currently oversees the licensing and regulation of over 50 occupational categories. Other regulatory agencies include the Oklahoma State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, which licenses engineers and land surveyors, and the Construction Industries Board, which licenses construction contractors in Norman. To confirm a Norman professional's license, residents can check the online verification portal of the respective licensing agency or contact the agency directly. For example, to verify a contractor's license, residents can check the Construction Industries Board's license verification webpage or contact the Board at (405) 521-6550. Residents can also contact the Oklahoma Department of Labor for license verification inquiries or assistance at (405) 521-6100.

In addition to professional license verification, it is also crucial to confirm whether any city-specific requirements must be observed before commencing your project. For example, some construction contractors, like electrical contractors, cannot operate in Norman without obtaining a citywide license. Similarly, contractors cannot perform building-related jobs without getting the relevant permits. These licenses and permits are issued by the Development Services Division of the city's Department of Planning and Community Development. Queries regarding permits and citywide contractor licensing can be directed to this Division at (405)366-5339 or by email.

Do Norman Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Norman is divided into eight wards, with each ward comprising specific neighborhoods within the city. During municipal elections, residents of each ward elect a ward representative into the City Council, which is the city's local government and consists of all eight ward representatives and the City Mayor that is elected at large. This council discharges various regulatory duties and ensures the city's coordination and general improvement, however, it does not issue home improvement or construction permits. Instead, it develops policies and approves plans for the city's benefit, which may influence or affect construction-related activities within the city. For example, in July 2021, the City Council deliberated on how to best allocate funds received from the American Rescue Plan. One of the leading suggestions was to spend the money on funding affordable housing within the city to help address homelessness. Likewise, as part of its plans to repair and retouch neighborhood streets within the city, the City Council approved the resurfacing of Franklin Road with asphalt. While this resurfacing may initially cause minor traffic problems, it is expected that there will be a better traffic flow after it is finished.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Norman?

Instances of unfair business practices in Norman can be reported to the Consumer Protection Unit (CPU) of the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office. This Unit oversees the enforcement of consumer protection laws across the city and also ensures reported businesses or professionals are investigated and appropriately sanctioned. Residents of Norman can file an unfair business complaint with this Unit by obtaining a Consumer Complaint Form, filling the form as directed, and mailing the completed form to

  • Oklahoma Attorney General's Office
  • Consumer Protection Unit
  • 313 Northeast 21st
  • Oklahoma City, OK 73105

For assistance or inquiries regarding filing an unfair business complaint, you can contact the CPU at (405) 521-2029 or by email.

Upon receiving your complaint, the CPU will take steps to address it, such as investigating the complaint or facilitating a mediation process between you and the relevant business or professional. Nevertheless, steps taken by the CPU to address your complaint may not result in your compensation. To confirm if you would be compensated or get a refund from the relevant business or professional where applicable, you may consult the CPU at (405) 521-2029 or by email. Alternatively, you may pursue your compensation by filing a small claims suit against the relevant business or professional and request monetary compensation. Small claims suits from Norman City are typically filed at the Cleveland County District Court, and it is recommended that you seek legal advice from an attorney before filing this suit. Note that you can only request compensation totaling $10,000 or less in a small claims suit.