loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Tulsa?

Professionals who intend to offer their services in the City of Tulsa must obtain the required state and city licenses to be deemed eligible to practice. According to the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, all contractors in the state's six specialty trades industries must obtain a professional license from the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. Also, while general contractors are not required to have a state-issued license, this category of professionals, as well as other building professionals, must obtain city-issued licenses from the Tulsa Department of Development Services-Permit Center before offering their services to residents of Tulsa. To ensure that your intended projects are carried out without any regulatory violations, you should only hire a professional who has been duly licensed. You can verify the licensing status of intended professionals via the online CIB Verify Licensee Search tool maintained by the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. Likewise, you can contact the Tulsa Department of Development Services-Permit Center at (918) 596-9456 to confirm the licensing status of locally licensed professionals, or you can visit the department in person on Mondays through Fridays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at:

  • 175 E. 2nd Street,
  • 4th Floor
  • Tulsa, OK 74103

In addition to licensing, the Tulsa Department of Development Services-Permit Center also issues permits for certain projects that involve the construction, alteration, repair, and demolition of buildings. You can contact the Permit Center of the Department of Development Services at (918) 596-9456 for more information on these city-issued permits, or you can visit the center's physical location at the address provided above.

Do Tulsa Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, organized groups in Tulsa do not issue building permits or any other type of permits to residents. There are currently 369 organized groups in Tulsa made up of neighborhood associations, homeowner's associations, block groups, business associations, alert neighbors groups, umbrella associations, and council districts all within the city's limit. These organized groups are created by neighborhood members to see to their community needs and they work with relevant city authorities on development projects and general matters to improve life quality within their different neighborhoods. In January 2018, six Tulsa neighborhood associations received a $1,000 grant each for their volunteer-led revitalization project to improve the quality of life within their neighborhoods. Likewise, in February 2021, the Downtown Coordinating Council, Tulsa Planning Office, and Tulsa Transit invited the general public for a workshop to gather feedback on the suitable alignment for the proposed Route 66 Aero Bus Rapid Transit route in Downtown Tulsa. To find out what organized groups are in your neighborhood, you can use the city's interactive map.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Tulsa?

You can file a complaint against the unfair or deceptive practices of professionals in Tulsa with the Consumer Protection Unit of the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office by downloading and completing its Consumer Complaint Form. Upon completing the complaint form, it will have to be saved as a pdf file to enable you to send it to the Consumer Protection Unit via email. Note that the subject line of this email must be tagged complaint. Once received, the Consumer Protection Unit will review your complaint to determine the appropriate mode of resolution. Most times, complaints are resolved over the phone by a Consumer Protection Unit representative or via mediation. Note that even though the Consumer Protection Unit helps with money refunds for some complainants, a refund is not always guaranteed.

Further inquiries concerning your complaint can be directed to the Consumer Protection Unit of the Attorney General's Office at (405) 521-2029. Since the Attorney General's Office does not guarantee money refunds, you can pursue private legal action against the subject of your complaint at the Tulsa County District Court. For lawyer referral services in the City of Tulsa, you can use the Tulsa County Bar Association's online lawyer referral program, or you can contact the bar association office at (918) 584-5243. Finally, if your claim is for recovery of $10,000 or less, you can file a small claims action at the Tulsa County Clerk Court.

Professions in Tulsa